Diversity in Early Beaverton SettlersSeptember 14, 2016 11:45 pm
By Michael Wong, BHSoc President
While the vast majority of early Beaverton settlers came from the East coast of the United States, many travelled from as far away as China and Scandinavia. The current success of our wonderful city can be directly attributed to this diverse group of intrepid families of which a few are noted below:
- William Barnes was born in December of 1834 in England and married Elizabeth in 1854. Barnes Rd is named after William.
- Ann Lee Cady was born on 1834 in Kirkburton, England and died in 1909 in Beaverton, OR. Ann married Alonzo B. Cady in 1886. Alonzo was to become Beaverton’s first mayor in 1893.
- Emma Hicks was born in 1846 in England and died in 1931 in Washington Co., OR. She married William O. Hocken in 1869. Emma is buried at Crescent Grove Cemetery.
- William Oliver Hocken was born in 1840 in Buconac, England and died in 1921 in Washingto Co., OR. After marrying Emma Hicks 1869, the couple moved to Beaverton in 1870. William is buried at Crescent Grove Cemetery. Hocken Ave is named after William. He served as mayor from 1914-1917.
- Ann Lee Martin was born in 1834 in Kirkburton, England and died in 1909 in Beaverton OR. Ann married Alonzo B. Cady in 1886.
- Ada Richards was born in 1865 in Penzance, England and arrived in the US in 1872. She died in 1952 in Multnomah Co., OR and is buried in Crescent Grove Cemetery. Ada married Alonzo R. Fanno in 1884.
- Peter Saltzmann was born in 1834 in France and died in 1894 in Washington Co., OR. Peter is buried in Union Cemetery of Cedar Mill. Saltzmann Rd is named after Peter.
- Christina Eggiman was born in 1854 in Germany and died in 1939 in Washington Co., OR. After divorcing John Croeni, she married Andrew Eggiman in 1896. Christina is buried in Union Cemetery of Cedar Mill.
- Sophia Tigard was born in 1839 in Germany and died in Washington Co., OR in 1917. She married John W. Tigard in 1893. Sophia is buried in Crescent Grove Cemetery. The city of Tigard is named after John.
- John Henry was born in May of 1836 in Ireland and died in 1909 in Washington Co., OR. John married Rosa in 1879. He is buried in the Patton Family Cemetery in Garden Home. John helped plat the township of Beaverton in 1868.
- Owen Murray was born in August of 1835 in Ireland and died in 1909 in Washington Co., OR. His wife Mary was also born in Ireland and they married in 1877. They are both buried at St. Anthony of Padua in Tigard. Murray Blvd is named after Owen.
- Louie Biggi was born in 1892 in Genoa, Italy. He married Rose Merlo in 1920.
- Rose Merlo was born in 1898 in Campomarone, Italy and died in 1985 in Beaverton, OR. She married Louie Biggi in 1920. Rose is buried at Mt. Calvary Cemetery.
- John Merlo was born in 1870 in Italy and died in 1922 in Washington Co., OR. He is married to Mary Merlo. Merlo Rd is named after John.
- Mary Annunziata was born in 1878 in Italy and died in 1948 in Washington Co., OR. She is married to John Merlo.
- David Reghitto was born in August of 1842 in Italy and died in 1925 in Washington Co., OR. He married Louisa Balbi in 1873.
- August Rossi was born in March of 1870 in Italy and died in 1927 in Washington Co., OR. He married Hattie Rossi 1895. The Rossi Bldg is named after August.
- Augusta Aronsson was born in April of 1872 in Sweden and died in 1906 in Ophir, CO. She married Otto Erickson in 1895. Augusta is buried at River View Cemetery.
- Otto Erickson was born in December of 1869 in Sweden and died in 1945 in Redding, CA. Otto married Augusta Aronsson in 1895. He opened the city’s first Ford dealership in 1915 and served as mayor from 1917-1926. Erickson Rd is named after Otto. Guy Carr, who started the Carr dealerships, was the son-in-law of Otto.
- Andrew Eggiman was born in July of 1864 in Switzerland and died in 1896. He married Christina Croeni in 1896. Andrew is buried at West Union Cemetery of Cedar Mill.
Categorised in: Our Stories
This post was written by Michael Wong